The vision of the members of the FWP relies on an integrated management of Water Resources: water management by and for everyone.
The FWP’s primary focus: the management of integrated water resources for and by all
The FWP’s vision is based on an integrated model that consists of managing water resources in order to solve water-related problems around the world.
What is integrated management?
France initiated a revolution in the 1960s in terms of participatory governance, funding, and improvement of the quality of water, aquatic environments, and biodiversity.
Current French legislation provides for an integrated management of water resources policy at a coherent hydrological unit scale: the hydrological basin. This requires:
- Cooperation, organization and solidarity among all water stakeholders and users within the watershed
- A comprehensive approach to water resources, including surface water, groundwater, and coastal water.
- A mechanism for financial solidarity
- A balanced approach between efficient resource management and the mobilization of new resources
- Consistency among policies in the areas of water, climate, food safety, energy, and the environment
To find out more, see our video on French water innovations: